Friday, May 23, 2008

May's Featured Artist is Yuri Hayashi


Artist Statement ~Yuri Hayashi, St.Petersburg, FL


Water and stone, the pure materials is what lures me to begin the process of what I do. It holds my attention with limitless possibilities, pain, joy, and entices me with the way its lays down on canvas. At its purest I think of all of these things and nothing at all. The process is what is so seductive and captivating and why I am drawn to painting year after year. What can I do with water and stone, like alchemy, materials so common like mud or rotten rose buds and silver? How can I make them into something there not? Is it good enough? What if it is? These questions and the materials is what drives me to do what I do, push paint around till its something else. I am painter living and breathing this process. Composition and color are my tricks, like the magician is what I use to hold the viewer to decide what to make of it or how I did it. Just simply water and stone is where it starts.




Yuri yoshio hayashi

No comments: